Monday, September 17, 2012

First Three Weeks in Paradise


After 3 weeks of being in paradise, San Sebastian is starting to feel like home. I am finally all settled in to my apartment, have reliable internet and have started classes. I absolutely love the city and have enjoyed every minute spent here; however, I promise that I will never take wireless internet or Target for granted again. I could have never anticipated the number of challenges I have faced in the past few weeks from seemingly simple tasks.  It all began the very first day that I arrived in San Sebastian with my friend Kendall. Unable to move into our apartment until the following week, we were staying in a dormitory on the outskirts of the city. Anxious to see the gorgeous beaches and Oceanside that initially attracted us to San Sebastian, we decided that we would attempt to figure out the bus system. Walking to the bus stop, we both felt fairly confident that our experience with Spanish would be enough to get us to the beach. However, we seemed to have forgotten that Basque, not Spanish, is the dominant language in San Sebastian. Although everyone speaks Spanish in addition to Basque, the people of San Sebastian boast Basque pride and choose to write all of their city signs and, as we quickly found out, bus schedules in Basque. Needless to say, our 5 minute bus ride to the beach ended up being a 45 minute tour of every possible place in San Sebastian beside the beach with the bus driver making a special detour to Oceanside for us after noticing we had not gotten off after a complete cycle of stops. Despite our frustration and slight embarrassment as sticking out as “those Americans” all of our worries were set aside once we saw the absolutely beautiful beach and city center.


                                                                    We found the beach!


                             "La Concha" the main swimming beach in the center of the city


Our next major “American” moment came the day that we moved into our apartment. Although our apartment is much bigger and nicer than most of our friends’, San Sebastian is an old city and not very updated on its power sources. Anxious to get everything set up in our apartment, we quickly plugged things into just about every single outlet and instantly found ourselves in darkness. In less than 20 minutes of living in our apartment we had already blown our fuse. Using our cell phones as flashlights, we searched and searched for the fuse box but had no luck. We quickly concluded that it was time to meet the neighbors and wandered up to the floor above us and tried our best to explain to the man that answered his door what had happened. After what seemed like ten minutes of our broken Spanish and many hand gestures, he finally understood what we were trying to say and came down to our apartment and switched the power back on for us, shaking his head at the 6 huge suitcases that were still sitting in our hallway.

Me and my roommates- Kendall (from Richmond) and Laura (from Sweden) moving into our apartment 

Despite the frustration from the many obstacles (believe me, there were many more), the helpless moments have made me realize how friendly the people of San Sebastian are and makes me even more confident that I chose the perfect place to spend my four months abroad.

Having spent 22 days in San Sebastian, and having traveled to two different countries, I am still convinced that San Sebastian is the most beautiful city I have ever seen. It is located in northeastern Spain, on the Bay of Biscay and only about 20 minutes from the French Border. It is in the Basque region, and I have come to learn of both the pride and conflict that comes from the people who live in this region of Spain. When you meet someone who is from San Sebastian, instead of telling you that they are Spanish, they will tell you that they are Basque. And although all speak both Spanish and Basque, many of the menus, city signs and street language is Basque. Much of the older generation still believes that the Basque region (which consist of northern Spain and part of southwestern France) should not be part of Spain, but rather its own country. Although there is no violent conflict, it is apparent that the Basque think of themselves as separate from Spain. After spending time in Seville, in the southern region of AndalucĂ­a, Spain, last summer, I have already seen many contrasts from the North to the South. Southern Spain is home to the many Spanish “stereotypes”- bullfights, sangria, churros, and Flamenco dancing, where as only the Sangria can be found here in San Sebastian. However what it might lack in typical “Spanish culture”, the city makes up for it in food and wine. The culinary capital of Spain and located right on the water, San Sebastian has by far the best food of any city that I have ever visited. “Pintxos”, the Basque name for Tapas are very popular and the hundreds of Pinxtos Bars are packed with both tourists and natives on any given night. Although an incredibly overwhelmed experience at first, I have come to love Pinxtos Bars and am surprised that the concept has not been better introduced in the States. Basically, how the bars work are that there are all of these big plates of small finger foods (kind of like appetizers) laid out all along the bar and there is usually an additional menu as well. You work your way up to the bar and grab a Pinxto or order from the menu and you just pay as you go. At first, the atmosphere really stressed me out; it is loud, people are pushing you, there is no where to sit down, and you have no idea what ingredients are in each dish. However, once I tried a few of the dishes and got the system down, I began to enjoy the laid back atmosphere and ability to chose exactly what, and how much you want.

                                                      The fishing port in the city center 



                                                       Our favorite Pinxtos restaurant!

Not only does San Sebastian have amazing food, kind people and interesting culture, but it located right on the beach... really, what more could you ask for? There are two main beaches, one that is protected by the bay and one that is the “surfing beach”. San Sebastian is a big surfing destination for many Europeans and Australians and my apartment is less than a 2 minute walk away from the surfing beach. Calm enough to swim in, but big enough waves for surfers, this is definitely my favorite beach of the two. On the few stormy days we have had, the ocean has been packed with surfers which is so entertaining to watch.

So I guess that covers everything besides the whole reason that I am here… classes. After having a week to “try out” classes I started my first official classes today. I am studying at the University of Deusto which is the private University in San Sebastian. There are two different inner schools; the business school, which I am attending, and the tourism and communications school. I am taking all business classes, and although I was hoping to take at least one class in Spanish, my schedule would not allow me to take any Spanish classes so all of my classes are in English. However, there is a large mix of students in all of my classes, both of Spanish students and other exchange students from many different countries. Although I would love to be able to just lay on the beach every day, I am looking forward to classes starting and getting to see all of the different opinions and viewpoints that the diverse group of students bring. When I first learned that my apartment was a 20 minute walk from school, I immediately looked up the bus routes, thinking that compared to my maximum 10 minute trek to the other side of campus at Richmond, 20 minutes was just way too far. However, after my first walk to school, I knew that the 20 minute walk would be one of the most enjoyable parts of my day. Not only is my apartment a block away from the beach, it is also a block away from the large river that divides the city of San Sebastian. To get to school I follow the river the whole way and get to pass all of the beautiful bridges and buildings along the water. Definitely added motivation for me to get up to go to school in the morning!


                                                           The Universidad de Deusto 


                                                        Walking home from school... 

So, as I'm sure you can tell by now- I am already in love with San Sebastian and having an awesome time so far! 

No comments:

Post a Comment